The Old Mill
Cliff at Lyons, situated on the Grand Canal in Kildare occupies a collection of historic village houses, a barracks, forge and an old flour mill .
The Old Mill which is now home to our function room was the first tenant and building in the village at Lyons.
Buildings which had sprung up around the mill by the early nineteenth century included a hotel, the Jolly Angler’s Inn and a Church of Ireland boarding school.
In 1903 the mill was gutted by a fire. The owner, Joseph P. Shackleton—a relative of the famous polar explorer, Ernest—helped put the fire out with water from the nearby Grand Canal.
The Cliff at Lyons kitchen pay their respects to the village’s founding building with fresh pan-fried soda bread, cooked daily using local Irish flour.